Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 217 30-August-2016

30-08-2016 Tuesday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 217

In a Domestic Setting – 14

Holy Mother’s sisters-in-law and nieces were jealous of one another, and quarreled about petty things. Her patience with them, as she tried to make everyone happy, defies description. She often said: ‘One must be patient as the earth, which always puts up with people’s transgressions. Men should behave likewise.’ When Holy Mother’s forbearance reached its limit she would say about her family: ‘I am like a lotus in the midst of a rubbish heap.’ People often misunderstood her compassion towards her relatives as attachment to them, and criticized her. On such occasions she would say: ‘How would they understand me? I must look after the family in which I was born. That is why I feel so intensely for my parents, my brothers, sisters-in-law, and nephews and nieces. I owe them debts which I must pay back. Why, otherwise, should I bother about them? The Master, too, looked after his mother. He even secured a job for his nephew Ramlal in the Kali temple at Dakshineswar.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 132