Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 221 3-September-2016

03-09-2016 Saturday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 221

In a Domestic Setting – 18

Surabala could occasionally be humorous, as when one day Holy Mother was decorating the Master’s picture with flowers. With a twinkle in her eye Surabala said: ‘See what she is doing! She is decorating her husband with her own hands.’ She would even, on rare occasions, show respect to Holy Mother. One day inadvertently the Mother touched her feet with her hand.1 (1 In Hindu tradition a person commits a sin if his feet tough any part of the body of an elder or of a person worthy of worship. The transgressor at once asks forgiveness.) Surabala cried out: ‘What will happen to me? Why did you touch my feet?’ Holy Mother laughed aloud at this show of respect and said to a disciple: ‘Ravana knew fully well that Rama was Narayana Himself, the embodiment of Brahman, and that Sita was the Primordial Power, the Divine Mother of the Universe. Still he did not refrain from ill-treating Sita1 (Ravana had to play a dishonourable part in the life of Rama in order to bring about the destruction of demons, of whom he was the leader.) She [referring to Surabala], too, knows who I am. She knows it well. Yet she must play her part.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 134 – 135