Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 223 5-September-2016

05-09-2016 Monday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 223

In a Domestic Setting – 20

We have already mentioned Holy Mother’s nephews and nieces. Maku and Nalini, among the nieces, were practically members of her family. Nalini and Surabala never got along with each other. Holy Mother often had to pacify them. She consulted Nalini about family matters. She used to say: ‘I show these girls their due respect for their views. Remaining detached, I watch their movements so that they may not go to extremes. Remaining humble, one should give some amount of freedom to all.’ Nalini had a morbid mania for cleanliness and purity, and thereby inflicted suffering upon herself and others. Noticing her indifference to her husband, Holy Mother once said: ‘She feels like her aunt [referring to herself]; that is why she not care for him.’ Her nieces’ children received their due share of attention from Holy Mother. She gave them gold ornaments and arranged for medical treatment for them when they were sick. A son of Maku was her favourite, and she wept when he dies at an early age. She once said of him: ‘The child must have been a yogi in his previous life. One of his age does not usually show so many good tendencies. He used to gather flowers and worship my feet with them.’ One day the child asked the Mother who created the red flowers, and she said; ‘God.’ He wanted to know the reason for it. The Mother replied: ‘God liked to wear them.’ When Holy Mother lost some of her teeth, the child said: ‘Why don’t you take two of mine?’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 136