Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 233 14-September-2016

14-09-2016 Wednesday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 232

In a Domestic Setting – 29

Jayrambati, as we have already seen, has a special attraction for Holy Mother. Once as she was leaving for Calcutta her aunt said to her: ‘Sarada, come back soon.’ With tears in her eyes, she replied: ‘Of course I will come.’ By way of reassurance, she touched the floor with her forehead again and again and said, quoting a Sanskrit proverb: ‘The Motherland, which is none other than the mother, is superior to heaven itself.’ Though Kamarpukur was her home after her marriage, she first saw the light of day at Jayrambati and grew up there. She loved the very sky and air, the trees, the tanks, and the meadows of Jayrambati. The attraction of the village drew her from the metropolis of Calcutta. Though neither her house nor her village gave her the comforts of her Calcutta home, she felt an ease, naturalness, joy, and freedom there which she found nowhere else. She sighed with relief whenever she left Calcutta, where she felt like a bird in a cage. In the village she was free to do things her own way, but in Calcutta her meals, movements, and interviews were regulated by the clock. She often protested against the formalities observed in the metropolis, and one day she said to a disciple: ‘In Calcutta I have to weight my words before uttering them, lest people should take offense. I am much better off at Jayrambati. I bluntly tell the villagers whatever I feel, and they reply to me without any restraint. We do not harbor any ill feeling for each other. But the people of Calcutta feel hurt if I deviate from the formalities even a little.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 141 – 142