Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 237 19-September-2016

19-09-2016 Monday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 237

In a Domestic Setting – 34

To complete the story of Amjad, several years later Holy Mother was bedridden with fever. Devotees from distant places came to Jayrambati to visit her. One morning a brahmachari attending her noticed that an emaciated man of dark complexion, clad in rags and leaning on a stick, had entered the house. As he approached the Mother’s room her eyes fell upon him. ‘Who is there?’ she said in a feeble voice. ‘Is it my child Amjad? Come in.’ Amjad entered the room and talked with the Mother for some time. In the afternoon when Amjad was returning home, people found him to be a completely different person. He had taken his bath, filled his stomach with food, and put on a new cloth. He carried in his bundle many gifts from Holy Mother. Amjad, who had been starving all this time, soon recovered his health. He now became devoted to Holy Mother and often got her fruits and other articles not easily obtainable in the neighbourhood. He did not, however, give up his profession of a bandit. Once, released from jail, he came to Holy mother with a gourd from his vine. She said: ‘I have been thinking of you a long time. Where have you been all these days?’ He said that he was in jail because he had stolen a cow. She did not pay any heed to his criminal act and said with great kindness: ‘I was worried by your long absence.’ Amjad had been in and out of jail many times. During her last illness, Holy Mother came to know that he was again arrested for burglary and remarked: ‘I knew all the time that Amjad had not given up his old habits.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 144 – 145