Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 246 28-September-2016

28-09-2016 Wednesday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 246

Chapter 11 – Radhu : 07

Between 1911 and 1917 Radhu developed strong symptoms of neurasthenia. She also suffered from fits of hysteria and could not stand even the slightest noise. It was an anxious time for Holy Mother. As Radhu could not bear the turmoil of the metropolis when she became pregnant, Holy Mother decided to take her to Jayrambati. She said to her disciple Barada: ‘I am taking with me a turbulent ocean. From now on I shall depend on you children for help.’ The party went by train to Vishnupur, where an astrologer predicted that Radhu would not have an easy delivery. The Mother and her companions left Vishnupur in six bullock carts. On the road they stopped for lunch. As the cook was taking out the rice-pot from the oven it dropped and the rice was scattered on the ground. Everyone was distressed at this mishap, but not Holy Mother. She realized that to cook rice again would cause great delay; so with a wisp of straw she gathered up some rice to offer to the Master. Then she washed her hands and took out the picture of Sri Ramakrishna from her box. Arranging rice and some vegetables on a leaf-plate, she offered them to the Master and said with folded hands: ‘Today you have arranged things this way; we can’t help it. Now quickly eat some warm food.’ Her companions watched the whole thing and laughed aloud.

The Mother said to them: ‘We must act according to the situation. Now come and take your lunch.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 151 – 152