Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 248 30-September-2016

30-09-2016 Friday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 248

Chapter 11 – Radhu : 079

Soon after this Holy Mother went to Jayrambati with Radhu and her child, and some other relatives. Radhu was very weak. She could not stand and crawled about; often she had to be forced into bed. Now her eccentricity reached its height. The following paragraphs from the diary of a disciple covey some idea of Holy Mother’s ordeal with Radhu:

‘Radhu’s baby was now six months old, but still Radhu did not stand up because of weakness. She could only crawl about. To make things worse, she became addicted to opium. Holy Mother, too, of late had not been well. She was having occasional attacks of fever. She tried to wean Radhu away from opium habit. But Radhu was adamant. One morning Holy Mother was cutting vegetables when Radhu came for opium. Holy Mother understood her intention and said to her: “Radhi, you have had enough of this. Why don’t you stand up? It is impossible for me to take care of you any more. For your sake I have given up my devotion and everything else. Can you tell me how I can possibly meet all your expenses?” At these unpleasant words Radhu lost her temper, picked up a big eggplant from the vegetable basket, and threw it at Holy Mother with great force. It struck her hard and immediately she arched her back in pain. Looking at the photograph of the Master, she prayed with folded hands: “Lord, please forgive her misdemeanor; she is senseless.” Then she took the dust of her own feet, put it on Radhu’s head1 (1 A person greets his superior by touching the latter’s feet with his forehead. Sometimes he touches the superior’s feet with his hand and then touches his own forehead. This is called ‘taking the dust of the feet.’ According to Hindu custom, when a person has insulted or ill-treated a superior, he touches the later’s feet with his forehead in expiation of the sinful act.) and said: “Radhi, the Master never hurt me even with a rude word, and you torture me so much. How can you understand where I really belong? Simply because I love with you all, you do not think anything of me.” Radhu burst into tears. Holy Mother continued: “Radhi, if I get angry with you, there will be no one in the three worlds2 (2 That is to say, earth, heaven, and the mid-region.) to give you shelter.” Addressing Sri Ramakrishna she said: “O Master, please do not be offended with her.”’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 152 – 153