Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 255 07-October-2016

07-10-2016 Friday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 255

Chapter 11 – Radhu : 086

Almost since her birth Radhu had hung over Holy Mother’s life like a dark rain cloud with frequent thunder and showers. But, in spite of her, Holy Mother’s real nature shone through, like the luminous sun in all its brilliance.

Radhu crossed Holy Mother’s path to serve, in the main, two purposes. First, Holy Mother’s apparent attachment to Radhu was self-imposed or, rather, willed by Providence to fulfil Sri Ramakrishna’s divine mission upon earth. Her own spiritual experiences had effaced from her heart every trace of worldly desire. But a desireless mind cannot function through the body. The body, after the experience of nirvikalpa samadhi, falls off like a sere leaf. Radhu’s appearance in her life supplied the worldly element necessary to preserve her for the fulfilment of her spiritual mission. Second, Holy Mother, through her behaviour towards Radhu and her various relatives, showed the world how a householder should discharge his worldly duties. Unlike Sri Ramakrishna, she did not formally renounce the world, though in reality she was a perfect world-renouncer. Holy Mother’s apparent attachment to Radhu acted as a ballast to keep her soaring mind tied to the world. More than once she remarked: ‘My body has been preserved for the Master’s work through this attachment to Radhu.’ Devotees came to her with their struggles and afflictions. Day and night she had to listen to their complaints. Once she said to a disciple: ‘My son, the whole day I wrestle with the devotees. Now comes one disciple, next another –and always with problems and troubles. My body cannot bear these any more. I pray to the Master to keep my mind on Radhu for support. But I can cut off my shackles any moment. It is only out of compassion that I do not do so. In truth I am above maya.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 157