Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 256 08-October-2016

08-10-2016 Saturday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 256

Chapter 11 – Radhu : 087

A year or two before her death Holy Mother once was in bed with high fever. Radhu suddenly left for her husband’s home against the Mother’s will. The Mother said to a disciple: ‘When Radhu went away I was frightened. I said to myself that perhaps the Master did not want me to live any longer. But I see I still have many things to do.’ In spite of her seeming attachment, Holy Mother did not really regard Radhu as her own. To quote her own words: ‘Radhu and these others are not my true relatives. You alone [referring to her disciples] are my own people. Though I feel a strong attraction for you, there is no maya in it. It is this attraction that drags me down, again and again, to this world.’ One day at Jayrambati a beggar woman sang a song describing the eagerness of Gauri, the Consort of Shiva, to go back to Her abode in the Himalayas. As Holy Mother listened to it, sitting on the porch of her house, she became sill. Even after the singer had left she did not stir. When a disciple asked her to go inside the room, she did not respond. Then she went in and sat on the floor in an abstracted mood. At last she was heard to say to herself: ‘How long, O Lord, should I tarry here? It is a long, long time since I came.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 157 – 158