Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 276 26-November-2016

26-11-2016 Saturday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 276

Chapter 12 – Spiritual Ministry : 019

One morning a disciple, an eccentric young man, came to Holy Mother at Jayrambati and demanded monastic initiation. He also urged her to make him ‘mad’ and give him a vision of the Master immediately. Somehow she pacified him for the time being and sent him home. But his eccentricity increased and he returned to Jayrambati. He felt that the Mother had the power to give him a vision of Sri Ramakrishna but was refusing to do so. He said: ‘Mother, won’t you let me see the Master?

Mother: ‘Yes, you will see him. Don’t be so restless.’

Disciple (angrily): ‘You are only deceiving me. Here is your rosary. Take it back. I don’t care for it any more.’

He flung the rosary at her. ‘All right,’ said the Mother. ‘Remain for ever the child of Sri Ramakrishna.’ He left he place at once. Now he really became insane and began to write abusive letters to the Swamis of the Ramakrishna Mission, without sparing even Holy Mother. One day Swami Arupananda asked the Mother: ‘Did he return the mantra with the rosary? Can anyone ever return the mantra?’’ The Mother replied: ‘Can that ever be possible? The mantra is a living thing. Can anyone who has received it give it back? Can he, once having felt attraction for the guru, give him up? Some day in the future this man will come around and fall at the feet of those whom he now abuses. He once said to me: “Mother, make me mad.” “Why?” Said I. “Why should you be mad? Can anyone without committing much sin, ever be mad?”’ This devotee again began to visit the Udbodhan, but was rebuffed by the Swamis. He used to live on the bank of the Ganges and sometimes take his meal on the outer porch of the Udbodhan. One day he was taken to the Holy Mother with her permission. Trying to pacify him in various ways, she said: ‘The Master used to say: “At the time of death I shall have to stand by those who pray to me.” These are his very words. You are my child. What should you be afraid of? Why should you behave like a madman? That will disgrace the Master. People will say that one of his devotees has become mad. Should you conduct yourself in a way that would discredit the Master? Go home and live as others do. Eat and lead a normal life. At the time of your death, the Master will reveal himself to you and take you to him.’ The devotee was consoled by the Mother’s words and gradually regained his normal state of mind.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 170 – 171