Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 295 21-December-2016

21-12-2016 Wednesday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 295

Chapter 13 – In the Role of Teacher : 014

Holy Mother did not really mind this excruciating physical pain. Her motherly love and the consciousness of her mission made her regard suffering as a privilege. At Koalpara a disciple hesitated to touch her feet, thinking this would cause her pain. The Mother said: ‘No, my child, we are born for this purpose. If we do not accept others’ sins and sorrows and do not digest them, who else will? Who will bear the responsibilities of the wicked and the afflicted?’

When she felt the urge to give initiation, the Mother was heedless of all considerations of health and comfort. Once when she was suffering from malaria at Jayrambati, Swami Saradananda asked her attendants not to allow anyone to approach her for initiation. Then a devotee from a far-off part of the country arrived just for that purpose. The attendants refused to take him to the Mother. A heated argument ensued. The Mother came to the door and asked her attendants why they were not allowing the devotee to see her. When they told her of Swami Saradananda’s order, she said: “Who is Sarat to prohibit my giving initiation? I am born for this purpose.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 184