Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 296 22-December-2016

22-12-2016 Thursday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 296

Chapter 13 – In the Role of Teacher : 015

Holy Mother often said: ‘I initiate people purely out of compassion. They do not leave me alone. They weep. That moves my heart. Out of kindness I give initiation.’

One morning three devotees arrived at Jayrambati with a letter from Swami Brahmananda in which he requested Holy Mother to initiate them. When informed of the content of the letter she said: ‘Alas, Rakhal has sent me this stuff. A son generally sends his mother good things.’ At first she did not agree to initiate them and told them to go back to the Belur Math. Afterwards she relented and said addressing Sri Ramakrishna: ‘O Lord, yesterday I prayed to You that I might now spend a day in vain. And at last You have brought this to me. All right. As long as the body lasts I shall continue to do Your work.’ The devotees received their initiation. When the matter was afterwards reported to Swami Brahmananda and several other senior Swamis, the former became very grave. Swami Premananda said with a deep sigh: ‘Grace! Grace! By this unique grace the Mother has been protecting us. I cannot describe in words the poison which she swallows. If we had done so, the very suffering would have burnt us to ashes.’ People came to Holy Mother after having committed all kinds of sin. ‘But,’ she said, ‘when they address me as “Mother,” I forget everything and they get more than they deserve.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 185