Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 303 29-December-2016

29-12-2016 Thursday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 303

Chapter 13 – In the Role of Teacher : 022

Holy Mother did not, however, promise all her disciples liberation in the present life.1 (1 Swami Saradananda once explained the meaning of the term ‘last birth’ to the present writer. He said that Holy Mother did not say to all her disciples that after their present birth they would not be born again. If she gave this assurance to a particular disciple, the latter would of course be liberated at the hour of death. But in this very life he would practise God-consciousness intensely to get a foretaste of the bliss of which he was assured hereafter. The Swami said further that the term ‘last birth’ need not be taken literally. What she perhaps meant was that in the case of her disciples a limit had been put to the apparently endless chain of births and deaths. They might have to be born a few times more. As for worldly-minded people, there was no knowing when they would attain liberation.) If I freed everyone immediately,’ she said, ‘my spiritual strength would be sapped and my body would not be able to help many seekers. It would fall off after those few had attained freedom.’ To some disciples the Mother remarked: ‘Why do you worry so much? Fulfil all your worldly desires; afterwards you will enjoy abiding peace in communion with Sri Ramakrishna. For you he has created a new heaven.’ She assured the disciples that they were heirs to the spiritual treasures earned by her and the Master. We shall refer to this again in the following chapter.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 188 – 189