​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: With A Song in My Heart DVD

Gloria:

I certainly agree with you that Susan's performance was Oscar-worthy. Can't recall who her competitors were that year or who won. Will have to check my Robert Osborne Oscar book. When the movie first came out, I was too young to appreciate it and in fact I don't know if I even saw it in its first run. For some movies I was kind of dependent on my mother and her tastes. That's how I became a Barbara Stanwyck fan -- through my mother, who always dragged me to her films. No wonder I am so screwed up. Ha. Ha.

I am glad you brought up the drinking comment on the John Burn audio. I was very surprised when he said that and he also mentioned that she was hooked on drugs. Did you pick that up? I had never heard anything about those problems. With all she went through, however, I wouldn't blame her.

I am kind of on the fence about discussing someone's drinking problem. As far as Susan goes, it is a part of her history -- not the main part, of course, but I believe in the truth in all situations. But to dwell on it as opposed to what she accomplished, that gets into a gray area. You can either completely ignore a person's problems and extoll him or her to the heights or leaven your admiration with a dose of reality. I prefer to do the latter. I also would not want to alienate Tim because I feel his candor has enriched this site immeasurably.

Re: Re: With A Song in My Heart DVD

Jill:

I'm pretty sure Shirley Booth won the Oscar that year, for "Come Back, Little Sheba."

No, I didn't hear John Burn talk about a drug problem for Jane Froman, but I agree with you that, considering how many surgeries she had on that leg, I can't say I blame her if she became dependent on them.

As to alcoholism, my best friend was an alcoholic who died at age 51, so I'm very familiar with alcoholism and what it does to people.

However, when I remember Maryanne, I remember her good points: her personality, her grace and kind heart. All I am saying about Tim Barker is that he seems to be fixated on his mother's drinking above all else.

I guess it's just up to the rest of us to keep her good qualities known, at least as far as we know them.

Re: Re: Re: With A Song in My Heart DVD

HI Gloria..and all..It's been awhile since I have joined in on any discussions..but I think I must speak up in Tim's defense...on the drinking problem his mother had..
There is a reason behind it all..and that is all we need to know. I happen to know that Tim loved both his mother and father...very much.

Errol