Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Story Time 7 - Power of Word

The power of the word is intense. Mother herself talks about it when she descriebd the power of Japa (repition of the name of God)
So often we say words when we are angry or hurt, each of the words act like a sword and often serve to hurt the person who said the word and the person who heard it.
Vriju, it is wonderful that story time is back to the courtyard.

A question for all of us here "what is more powerful, a word or a thought?"

Re: Re: Story Time 7 - Power of Word

I feel word is more powerful than thought because once it is said can not be changed. Virju dada, I love your stories, this particular story one can practice everyday.

Re: Re: Re: Story Time 7 - Power of Word

Dear Shakuntala and Paritosh,
Wonderful to see you in the courtyard!

Word gives expression to thought. Thought, therefore precedes the Word. Thinking a 'thought' without giving it expression limits its effect -- wholesome or unwholesome as the case may be; its effect is confined to the thinker. When a thought is expressed through speech, it affects all those who receive it. Its effect varies according to the manner and spirit in which the spoken word is received.

Both have their power. Thought is subtle. Sri Ramakrishna speaks about thought, speech, and action. When our speech and actions match with our thoughts, we get the vision of Reality or God.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Story Time 7 - Power of Word

I would be bold and say that the thought is more powerful than the word. Since it is the thought that gives birth to the word. However the relationship is not that simple. As soon as the thought starts it takes shape in the form of the word (both spoken and unspoken)
In spiritual life if we can channel our thoughts towards the Supreme Goal then we automatically move away from the lower aspects of our being. AS Sri Ramakrishna would say as you move to wards the Eat the West is automatically left behind.
May Mother guide our thoughts towards Her today and always