Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ramblings, wishes and reply to an earlier Reminiscence of The Holy Mother!

Dear Ankur, You write so eloquently, and may I add my belated wishes for a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

As you probably know, Hriday was at one time Sri Ramakrishna's caretaker, possibly even his closest companion. Hriday began to ask and accept money from the aspirants wishing for darshan with Thakur. Hriday, from what I understand, was banished from the inner circle in the presence of Thakur.

"On 19 August 1883, Sri Ramakrishna received a letter from Hriday which he mentioned to M.: "You see, I am very much depressed today. Hriday has written me that he is very ill. Why should I feel depressed about it? Is it because of maya or daya?" The Master continued: "Do you know what maya is? It is attachment to relatives--parents, brother, sister, wife and children, nephew and niece. Daya means love for all created beings. Now what is this, my feeling about Hriday? Is it maya or daya? But Hriday did so much for me. He served me wholeheartedly and nursed me when I was ill. But later he tormented me also. The torment became so unbearable that once I was about to commit suicide by jumping in the Ganges from the top of the embankment. But he did much to serve me. Now my mind will be at rest if he gets some money. But whom shall I ask for it? Who likes to speak about such things to our rich visitors?"

On 26 October 1884, Hriday came to visit Sri Ramakrishna at Dakshineswar. M. recorded in the Gospel:

A man entered the room and told the Master that Hriday was waiting to see him in Jadu Mallick's garden, near the gate.

The Master said to the devotee: "I shall have to see Hriday. Please don't leave the room." He put on his slippers and went towards the east gate of the temple garden, M. accompanying him.

At the sight of the Master, Hriday, whod had been standing there with folded hands, prostrated himself before him. When the Master told him to get up, her rose and began to cry like a child. How strange! Tears also appeared in the Master's eyes. He wiped them away with his hands. Hriday had made him suffer endless agonies, yet the Master wept for him.

Master: Why are you here now?"

Hriday (weeping): "I have come to see you. To whom shall I tell my sorrows?" ...

"They Lived With God", pp 71 -72, Swami Chetanananda

Thank you, dear Sister Rosemary. Your sharings brought to me the faintest hints of the stirrings of the memory of a life gone by, of a life lived richly, but yet spoiled through disobedience and irresponsibility leading to...

Anyway, thank you very much. The past is past indeed. The present moment is all-consumingly important and may we live in it fully, consciously and richly, in the richness of God's love.

With regards,

Ankur

Dear Ankur ji,

I always enjoy reading your postings. May the Holy Trio
help you to overcome any karmic blockage which is impeding your spiritual progress.

Om Shanthi Om